Welcome to our Year 6 page!
Year 6 is going to be a thrilling, hard-working and challenging year for our pupils.
In Year 6 we will learn through six different topics, following Cornerstones Education: Darwin's Delights, Frozen Kingdom, A Child's War, Blood Heart, Hola Mexico! and Tomorrow's World.
Working in Year 6 is Miss Saunders, Miss Silvester and Mrs Meddings. Together we hope to create a fantastic, positive and stimulating learning environment, where our pupils can thrive and truly enjoy learning.
This term's topics are: Darwin's Delights and Frozen Kingdom.
Ship ahoy! We’re off on an exciting expedition with Charles Darwin and his crew on HMS Beagle. Can you trace his route across the vast ocean? Stop at the magical Galápagos Islands to see the amazing species that helped Darwin develop his theory of evolution by natural selection. Do you know what’s so special about a lava lizard, or why the blue-footed booby has blue feet? See how animals adapt to their environment over time and meet some of the world’s greatest explorers and naturalists! Imagine how humans will evolve in millions of years. It’s a scary thought! Ready to trace the origin of species? Let’s set sail!
Welcome to the planet’s coldest lands. Vast wilds and hostile territories – incredibly beautiful, yet often deadly. Take shelter from the elements or fall prey to icy winds and the deepest chill. Trek bravely and valiantly across treacherous terrain to the ends of the Earth, treading deep in snow or be pulled by a team of mighty sled dogs. Be alert, for magnificent mammals roam these lands, sometimes hungry or fresh for a fight. Perhaps a hungry polar bear or an Arctic fox is hunting rodents, as swift as the wind! Research facts and figures of climate, temperature, habitats and ecosystems, and compose evocative poems about the Northern Lights. Become part of an Antarctic discovery team, racing to be the first to reach the South Pole. So wrap up well everyone and settle by the fire. I’m just going outside and may be some time.
Worried or stressed? Here are some useful links from Childline:
Advice for Parents and Carers- https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/childrens-mental-health/
Activities to help keep calm- https://www.childline.org.uk/toolbox/calm-zone/
Support for Parents and Carers with SEND children- https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/support-for-parents/coronavirus_supporting-children-special-educational-needs-disabilities/
Support for Children who have worries- https://www.childline.org.uk/kids/
Remember to use the internet safely and responsibly. If you see something that upsets you report it to an adult!
Childline's Top Tips for Using the Internet Safely- https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/bullying-abuse-safety/online-mobile-safety/staying-safe-online/?in_type=under12service
Useful Home Learning Links:
- BBC Bitesize https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/tags/zncsscw/year-6-lessons/1
- The Oak National Academy https://www.thenational.academy/online-classroom/year-6/#schedule
- Classroom Secrets https://classroomsecrets.co.uk/home-learning-centre/
- Pobble 365 www.pobble365.com
- White Rose Maths https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-6/
- I See Maths http://www.iseemaths.com/lessons56/
Home Learning Activities
Here are a range of activities that you can use to help your learning at home:
- Read. Read. Then Read some more! Books, magazines, online articles- anything that interests you!
- Practise Arithmetic skills including times tables.
- Practise your spellings (see link below)
- Try some creative writing- it could be narratives, poems, songs or plays
- Choose some appropriate activities from your Homework Grid
- Create some inspirational art work about something you have learnt about.
- Design some Revision Guides about the topics you have learnt this year.
- Use Maths in every day contexts e.g. when cooking
- Keep yourselves active- can you design your own workouts?
- Teach a member of your family something you have learnt!
There are lots of activities included on these websites for you to have a look at:
- MC Grammar has written a song for each aspect of Grammar to remember! Find them here: https://www.theteachertrain.com/mc-grammar
- Free stories! Access https://stories.audible.com/start-listen to hear free children's stories. All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet.
- Love Harry Potter? Check out Harry Potter at Home for quizzes, information and some famous faces reading the first book via YouTube. https://www.wizardingworld.com/collections/harry-potter-at-home
- Explore this space themed challenge https://www.astrosciencechallenge.com
- The Ogden Trust have put together a range of Science activities- remember to choose the Key Stage Two option https://www.ogdentrust.com/coronavirus-home-learning-resources-hub
- The Canal and River Trust have put some activities together all about canals and rivers https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/explorers/learning-from-home
- Severn Trent have also got a range of activities to try out at home https://www.stwater.co.uk/about-us/education-zone/education-zone/
- Collins are offering free access to their Song Bank https://collins.co.uk/pages/support-learning-at-home-free-childrenssong-bank
- Active Kids has videos to help meet your daily exercise goals https://ukactivekids.com/movecrew/
- King Edwards Schools have game cards linked to different areas of P.E.- make sure you find the KS2 ones! https://www.kessp.com/page/?title=PE+at+Home&pid=45
Across the Curriculum
- Premier League Primary Stars has some different activities linked to all areas of the curriculum https://plprimarystars.com/home-learning
- Try out some Yoga with Cosmic Kids https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
Enjoy the Outdoors
- The Woodland Trust have some lovely ideas you can do outdoors in the garden. https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2020/03/kids-nature-activities-self-isolation/